Sunday, September 15, 2019

Self Introduction


Dear Professor Brad,

My name is Ng Jun Hui, and I am writing this letter to introduce myself as one of your students in your effective communication classes. I graduated from Nanyang Polytechnic with a Diploma in Telematics and Media Technology. Currently, pursuing my degree in Telematics (Intelligent Transportation System Engineering) in Singapore Institute of Technology.

Prior to my diploma, I was fortunate to obtain an internship at NCS Pte Ltd where I was exposed to different aspects of wireless technology. This exposure sparked my interest in telecommunications which led me to pursuing this degree programme. I believe that my work experience has helped me a lot in being an active listener and developing an open mind to understand the different perspective of others. Being exposed to the workforce has also placed me out of my comfort zone to meet new people, building on my interpersonal skills which helped to boost my confidence in public speaking.

On the other hand, what I feel that I can improve on will be my tone of speech as I have a habit of speaking in a casual tone which may not be suitable to every situation. This inability to adapt might pose as an issue to formal occasions such as presentations and interviews. Secondly, I have a tendency of speaking too quickly making it difficult for the audience to understand me.

Through this module, I hope to build a firmer foundation of English and developing relevant communication skills towards different audience. Under your guidance, I hope that the upcoming weeks with you will be an interesting and productive journey.

Warmest Regards,
Ng Jun Hui

4 comments:

  1. Dear junhui,

    Thank you for your clear and interesting self introduction.
    Glad to know that after attending the internship at NCS , it sparks your interest in wireless technology and therefore choosing to study at SIT Telematics. Through your work you improved in public speaking which you've shown clearly during your presentation in class.

    I hope you can build a firmer foundation and be a even better presenter by the end of this course.

    Best Regards,
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Junhui,

    I enjoyed reading your letter, and I feel that your content was clear and well paragraphed. However, I believe that you could edit the start your second paragraph by changing "Prior to my diploma" to "During my diploma studies" when referring to the time period of your internship.
    Hope to be able to learn more from you throughout the duration of this course!
    Regards
    Kai Wei

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Jun,

    Thank you for this clear, concise and yet fairly complete self-introduction. You've followed the model presented in class closely and produced a letter that addresses the task requirements with some bit of detail. I appreciate, for example, the explanation of how you see your internship sparking an interest in telematcis, and I like the way you connect that job experience to your strengths in communication. You also openly provide some info on your weakness in communicating. We will address oral presenting in the latter half of the term.

    It is also good to know that you have specific goals for the module in terms of your English. Toward that end, let's consider these points:

    1. sentence structure/parallel structure
    -- Currently, pursuing my degree in Telematics (Intelligent Transportation System Engineering) in Singapore Institute of Technology. > (sentence fragment)
    -- I hope to build a firmer foundation of English and developing relevant communication skills towards different audience. > (lack of parallel structure)

    2. punctuation
    -- This exposure sparked my interest in telecommunications which led me to pursuing this degree programme. > (missing comma)
    -- Being exposed to the workforce has also placed me out of my comfort zone to meet new people, building on my interpersonal skills which helped to boost my confidence in public speaking. > (missing comma)
    -- On the other hand, what I feel that I can improve on will be my tone of speech as I have a habit of speaking in a casual tone which may not be suitable to every situation. >
    -- Secondly, I have a tendency of speaking too quickly making it difficult for the audience to understand me. >

    I look forward to working with you moving forward.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Junhui,

    Great content over here and pretty well paragraphed. I am glad to know that you're an active listener as well as a confident speaker in public. With that, I hope that you can overcome your communication weaknesses and build a firmer foundation in English through this module. If need be, the class and myself will be here to help you through!


    Cheers,
    Yingquan

    ReplyDelete